Recently, I had a lull between knitting projects. I couldn’t quite decide what to work on next. My Ravelry queue had about 30 choices, but the choices just made me more indecisive. So instead, I decided to investigate the excitement around Tunisian Crochet.
I gathered some scrap yarn and a hook and settled in front of my computer. I figured out the mechanics in about 10 minutes. If you know the basics of crochet, Tunisian Crochet isn’t that far off. The difference is you work the piece from right to left and DON’T turn the work.
I chose to work the Tunisian Knit Stitch, which to an inexperienced eye looks just like knitting. You can notice a slight difference in the back of the swatch. The look and weight of the garment is slightly thicker than knitting.
I ended up really liking the final look of the stitch. However, in order to make anything larger than a swatch I will need to invest in an Afghan hook (super long crochet hook). I don’t know if there will be much Tunisian Crochet in my future, but it was fun to try it out.
Have you tried Tunisian Crochet? What did you think about it?
Until Next Time,
This weekend my coworker’s daughter celebrated her 1st birthday. It was a lovely party with good food and fun. I decided I would make her a cute cotton dress for summer. I landed on the Lace Body Dress by Pernille Larsen after a Ravelry search. I love a basic silhouette with a touch of lace.
I used a light blue cotton yarn that I found traveling in Vietnam. It is fingering weight, but it didn’t come with a label. The yarn was pretty nice to work with. It wasn’t rough on the fingers nor was it super splitty. When washed and blocked the yarn exhibited the lace pattern well.
The pattern, included charts for the lace section that were clear and easy to use. I really liked that the dress started from the bottom and you attached the skirt section without sewing. However, due to its bottom up construction there were a lot of other places that require cutting and joining yarn. I would have rather sewed the skirt on as I ended up with way too many ends to weave in at the end of the project. I did modify the pattern to fit my yarn. I used the 3 month sizing and added length to the body. For the skirt, I started with the 3 month sizing and used the top parts of the chart from the 24 month chart.
The gift was well received at the party. The birthday girl looked darling! I was a little worried initially as the neck seemed a little snug to fit over the head. However, her daddy used his special parenting powers and popped it over her head like magic.
Until Next Time,